Wednesday, September 14, 2011

c Some are quite bad, in fact

Well, it's not quite the long-promised return to blogging (which, as Buddha is my witness, will happen in the near future) but I did want to mention that besides my occasional stint at Time Out New York, or getting beat-up over at Salon.com, the fine folks at across the pond at Eye For Film have asked me to contribute to their fine site, and my first review for them, The Ghost Writer (directed by some Polish guy) has just been posted. Inspired by my good friend Adrian Curry, whose Movie Posters of the Decade post over at The Auteurs led critic (and Twitter fiend) Roger Ebert to issue forth a "bleh" (and then respond with his own choices), I thought I'd join in on the fun and put together a post on posters as well.
Yet rather than "best" or "favorite" I decided to focus on films and/or posters that aren't as well known here in the States -- things I saw at film festivals, or in a Paris Metro station, a billboard in Shinjuku, etc. Others I simply stumbled upon online. 
Not all of these are great films. Some are quite bad, in fact Also, I'm not making any claims as to the design quality of these posters -- some might violate every rule or standard -- but each of them caught my attention (sometimes for embarrassingly simple reasons) and remained memorable enough for me to recall them for this little divertissement.
Where applicable, I've made some attempts at grouping them either by theme or style, but please don't read too much into that. It's simply an alternative from the numbered list approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment